NOTE: This howto comes without any warranty or guarantee. If you find errors or have some remarks please use the contant data in Impressum
Topic: Ivacy VPN app not working on kodi with linux. OpenVPN execute with root rights without root passwd for Ivacy APP
Ivacy is a VPN provider which can be used for Kodi. You are free to use VPN you like but Ivacy is relatively cheap and provides a APP for kodi which will hide you from the bad things out there.
But! There is a catch, on my OpenSuse machine the Ivacy APP needed some change and configuration.
First you will need to install the App following this https://support.ivacy.com/kb/setup-ivacy-vpn-for-openelec-on-kodi/#comment-3805
After the installation and USER:PASSWD configuration of the APP, you will experience some issues if you run your Kodi with a non root user.
1. Ther first issue was that the APP will try to write the log file to /run which is not permited for a non root user and other issues .
FIX: For this you will need to adjust some python code in $HOME/.kodi/addons/service.ivacy.monitor
1. in File libs/platform.py on line 74 simple change 'return "/run/openvpn.log"' to
'retPath = os.getenv("HOME") + "/openvpn.log"
2. in File libs/platform.py on line 37 change 'use_sudo = False' to 'use_sudo = True'
3. in File libs/platform.py on line 94 add the line 'if p == platforms.LINUX and use_sudo : command = "sudo " + command'
2. OpenVPN needs root rights and must be called with sudo, however you dont want to enter the root passwd every time.
FIX: Enter rules in suduers file
1. login as root with 'sudo su'
2. edit the sudoers file with 'visudo'
3. look for "## Cmnd alias specification" and enter the alias 'Cmnd_Alias OPENVPN = /usr/sbin/openvpn'
4. look for area "## Runas alias specification"
enter 'User_Alias ADMINS = YOUR_USER'
5. look for area "## Same thing without a password" and enter 'ADMINS ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: OPENVPN'
6. save with 'ESC' and enter 'wq!''
Now you need to logout or reboot and use the Ivacy app.